Monday, September 26, 2005

Easing into Week 2

Got my first course tomorrow morning, which is quite exciting. Visual Culture-
I can't believe it, just continued to write in German. This usually only happens in my diary. Like, my paper diary. Heh.
Anyway. Visual Culture is in fact a first year course, but since we only have that tiny amount of Cultural Studies courses back at home, even an easy course with an emphasis on this one aspect should be rather informative and helpful. Also wonder what people are like who study their own culture, which is so much more familiar to them than to me. Should be interesting, especially the different opinions we will probably have about this country. Definitely looking forward to it.

Today, no courses yet, and lots of free time. After a considerably bad evening yesterday (ate too little, stayed up too long, was chatted up by weird guy on street who wouldn't leave me alone) which marked WoH (Wave of Homesickness) III, today was a blessing.

Went to ASDA (by bus), took my time there, but didn't use a trolley this time, just a handbasket. Bought masses of pasta salad (something decent to eat when getting back home knackered late in the evening- no need to cook), but also some fruit (apples and pears) and yoghurt to get that healthy eating thing started. Of course, other stuff as well, but not OTT*.
Also find the best folder ever. A clear shell with rainbow colour dividers inside, plus two CD holders. Perfect!
Then had lunch at the adjacent McDonalds (Cadbury Milk Flurry sadly not as good as it sounds) and then get myself home (again taking the bus, which takes me to a bus station from where I only need walk 5 more minutes...bliss). Relax for a bit, but since there's so much more time left I decide to give the shops of Richmond a closer look.

Now, this is the definition of a high street. One street with all the shops, restaurants, cafes and service shops, and once you veer off into a side street you're in a living area.
Buy nothing at Boots (I'm so proud) but more at Waitrose. Decide to try out some of those soups I was talking about earlier. Also get myself organic bread and bagels. Posh!
And then, since I need papery stuff, have to walk into WH Smith. Thankfully it's only a small branch, but still. Can't stand it any longer and grab the "Going Postal" paperback, along with the other items I need. Find out where to get boxes to send tasty things home (and also that credit cards are not accepted for paying less than £5). :P

Home again, to poke around all the things I bought and some lazing around in front of the TV after something warm to eat. This won't last forever, so I try to enjoy it as much as I can. :)

* Again one of those lovely acronyms I picked up from my in-depth magazine studies (but which I have probably also seen elsewhere). Means 'over the top'.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home