Sunday, September 25, 2005

A short lesson about walking distances, Part II

The journey home deserves an entry all to itself.

I had to use Circle line first, where there were severe delays, but was able to change to District line at the next station- just to have the train stop short of its usual last station, which was, as luck would have it, one short of the station I wanted to get to. Lots of busses were waiting outside, so I tried to find the right one for me. Hopped on the 85. Bad choice!

Since I don't know the routes, and stations are not announced on busses, and also because I didn't ask the driver for help and relied on my knowledge of the surroundings where I had to get off (patchy is too good as word for it) I got it wrong. But that wasn't all! The bus broke down in front of ASDA...then along came another, which I used to drive to the next station, which looked familiar to me, but turned out to be all new. I had gone too far! Two stations too far!

Now, bus prices here are a bit...high. So, even though I was hungry, tired, had hurting feet and a hurting stomach and felt all lonely and lost, I decided to walk back, thinking that it couldn't be that far, surely. It never looked that far on the map...

Well, here's the thing. It also didn't look far to walk from Green Park station to Oxford Street, yet took me around 20 minutes. But this...Roehampton Vale to Roehampton Lane and further on yet...never again. It took me around 45 minutes to finally get home, being sorely tempted to take a bus for the last two stations but continually telling myself that it wasn't that far anymore.

The first thing I see when walking into my room is the bus map that I put up on the wall beside my bed. Cursed at it a bit and promised myself to always take the bus when going to ASDA, and to rethink my "Walk across London" plan in favour of working feet and high morale.

Spent the rest of the evening doing some badly needed cleaning up while more or less watching TV (a neat BBC show where unsolved crimes of long times ago are reconstructed which I watched more, followed by Football which I watched less), then fell asleep completely knackered.

And today, woke up actually feeling all that walking in my legs and back. Wow. No more exercise needed...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home