Late Night Walking
So, after sitting herer by the power of my security card, and watching people come in, go out, and others come in, people slowly fading from the made-up, styled-up daily crowd to people far more on my line- comfortably dressed and being drawn to computers at late hours- when I was reduced to yawning and listlessly staring at my screen, the time came to walk home.
Again, I am lucky. Both the university and my home are on busy, well-lit streets. But still, all the information from those safety booklets I received here flitted around my head.
Walk in the middle of the pavement.
Women are more afraid of attack, men are more often actually attacked.
Keep your mind on your surroundings.
Look confident.
Stuff like that. The funny thing is: I've felt more afraid being out at night at home. Safety booklets can be as paranoid as they want to be, and scare you to hell while you read them ('What kind of place have I just arrived in? Help!'), but it seems to me that there is far better light here, far broader pavements, far more reassuring traffic.
Just stay out of dark alleys...
of which I haven seen none around here so far.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home