It's raining information leaflets
So, today, the big day of the Fresher's Fair, Fresher's Friday. Technically, 7 hours of fun and entertainment. Attend lectures, listen to music, sign up for societies and collect free goodies all over the place.
Well. The first day without any early appointments meant that I stayed in bed unusually long (until 9.30am), but since I wanted to walk to the nearest shops before going to uni, I then dragged myself out of the house. The nearest shops are actually in East Sheen, about 10mins walk to the west (while ASDA is in Roehampton proper, 10mins by bus from uni). And bliss! There is a Boots store (I love Boots! :D). Being a sort of drugstore addict, Boots means all those brands we don't get at home, like the neat Boots Botanics range (skincare with more or less local plant ingredients). I also took note of several Indian takeaways, pizza deliveries and inviting cafes, but then went to Waitrose (another chain store I've never been to- just how many do they have?), which is considerably more pricey than ASDA, but since I only needed some small items (sugar, fresh milk,...) I guess it's ok. All the prepared soups they have are pretty inviting though. No powder soups like we have them at home (though those also exist here, of course), but normal soup which you just pop into the microwave and that's it (in tasty varieties such as Creamy Tomato, mmh). AND they have Ben & Jerry's ice cream!
Today, I resisted all the temptations and just bought what I need.
Then had breakfast (mmh Cheddar cheese sandwich and, finally, coffee with sugar and milk) and walked to uni. Set the IT people working to enable me to use my webcam, then waited for the other two girls. In the meantime, it had started to rain, and rain quite nastily, but we still made our way over to the tents at Froebel (they have the biggest lawns there) and got ourselves informed.
First is the Societies tent, where we got the first goodies (mhh Skittles) and loads of folders and booklets (even the London Fire Brigade was there giving out info) and people tried to tempt us into playing for the Hockey and Basketball Team (there are many more).
Next the tent where local firms (and at least three fitness centres) advertised themselves and handed out more goodies (mainly vouchers, but I also got a neat Ben & Jerry's ice cream spoon).
Then the Volunteering hall (lots of info about part-time work and volunteering opportunities, which meant more folders) and the place where the Arts & Crafts Fair was supposed to be (which in the end only consisted of two girls selling handmade jewellery).
It was now raining rather heavily, so we headed back somewhere dry to look through all the stuff we got. There was another tent where we could have got more free stuff, but decided to leave it because of the weather. I might yet go later, but right now typing out huge posts in a dry place is just that more appealing.
Fact is, this is my third load of information material in just one week...one of these days I'll have to pour all of it out of the bags and read through it. :)


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home