Zooming through the first three days
Monday:
Woke up at 5am, then again at 6am. Discovered that my TV worked despite the warnings of my landlady. Fell in love with BBC One Breakfast TV. Had no breakfast because hadn't bought food yet. Went to uni, gave directions to other students, felt extremely cool and knowledgeable. Listened to lots of introductions, welcome speeches etc and got lots of information material. Then, during lunch break, finally found student cafeteria and bought sandwhich, flapjack and vanilla coffee. First food for 24 hours. It didn't last long. Then afternoon and shopping trip to ASDA. Amazingly large store. Many things to buy, buy far too many, get applause from bus driver on managing to leave the bus with all my bags intact. Realise that way home is longer than I thought, especially with around 10 stuffed, EasyRip(tm) shopping bags. Londoners show their great capacity for helpfulness: receive offers of help carrying, larger and sturdier bags, and reach home with only some slight bruising, but feel dead and can't move properly for the rest of the evening. Actually watch EastEnders. Fall asleep quickly once more.
Tuesday:
Shorter welcoming speeches specially delivered for international student. Another pretty package full of information material. Break where I meet some French and Spanish people. Information Fair, but I nip of to the LRC (Learning Resources Centre) to get my communications home working. Free sandwich lunch, which is extremely tasty (sandwhches, cookies and fresh fruit), another break where I meet someone Swedish, someone from the Netherlands, someone Italian but Danish (or the other way round?). Then short tour around campus-so pretty and green. Talk to girl from Japan who helped me on bus on Tuesday. Then back to LRC, annoyed that things don't yet work the way I want them to. First restful walk home. More EastEnders, but then switch of TV and read. Quickly asleep again, must be the lots of fresh air. :P
Wednesday:
Get up late but still manage to shower. Realise I still need to get my passport photos done. Find machine, but realise I have no coins, and registration starts in 10mins. Person who used the machine before me gives me their last change so I can get the pictures. Go through registration, meet some more people (American, Spanish), have to drop one of my courses because of a timetable clash. Finally get my own library card as well. Go to LRC and spend rest of afternoon and evening in front of a screen. Scare my mum by calling her 'urgently' at her workplace. Go home to eat while library is closed for daily security check, then come back to use the 24h pc service. Get my security card, but doors won't open. Get another card, doors still don't open. Get told that people can't get out either. Watch securtity guards fix security system, then spend some more time in front of a screen posting like mad and promising myself to bring a bottle of water next time.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home